Apr 1, 2018
Greg and Holly Johnson are the creators of Club Thrifty, a website focused on
living within your means while traveling and discovering the
They are happily married parents, with two gorgeous daughters,
they are in their late thirties and they are living the dream.
Here are some highlights of the interview
- Greg and Holly worked for about 10 years in the funeral
industry making a decent living, but they were spending all their
money. They didn’t know where was the money going.
- One day, they decided to start tracking all their expenses to
figure out where was their money going.
- They discovered that one of their biggest expenses was eating
- Out of frustration, they created the zero-sum
- We spoke about saving money to pay the future “you”. Imagine
that 20 year’s from now you have to pay a debt to the future you. A
big debt. You start putting money away as you do to pay any other
expense and then when you meet the future you at retirement, you
pay that debt.
- Started the blog to keep
- When they started budgeting, they had $15K-$16K worth of debt
which was paid in about 18 months. They used the Debt
- Club Thrifty try to teach people how to use the money they
already have to build a life they will really love. It tries to
teach people how to get out of debt by budgeting, and it
talks about frugal traveling.
- To make the transition from working as a mortician to have more
of an independent lifestyle, Holly started working as a freelance writer and after six
months she was making as much money freelancing as she was making
at her regular job. A year after the creation of the blog Holly was
making a full-time income as a writer.
- One of the most amazing posts is the 100 Cheapest
Places to Travel in the World for 2018.
- They wrote a book, Zero Down
Your Debt. One of the biggest obstacles to building wealth is
- We spoke about how to make
money on the side.
- They got into real estate investing inspired by the book
The Automatic Millionaire, by
- The most recommended article on the site: Working to
Live: How Being a Mortician Reshaped My Money Mindset.
- Book recommendation: Your
Money or Your Life.